in this post we will be able to provide our readers details about nigeria law school in nigeria, firstly,The Nigerian Law School is a form of graduate school for lawyers in Nigeria. No law graduate is considered to have finished with legal studies until he/she registers at any of the Nigerian Law Schools and graduate from there.
The Nigerian Law School is set up by the federal government of Nigeria in 1962 and the purpose was to train Nigerian law graduates and foreign lawyers on Nigerian law practice. The institution had been providing practical training for all the aspiring legal practitioners in Nigeria.
Before the Nigerian Law School was established, aspiring legal practitioners in Nigeria had to travel to England to receive legal practical training and they were all called to the English Bar.
The students of this institution are trained on ethics, corporate law, property law and civil and criminal law. Since inception to date, up to 70,000 lawyers have graduated from this school and called to bar.
The fees paid at the Nigerian law school are somewhat high and this makes it rather difficult for the less-privileged to also attend the Nigerian Law School. The fees were however reduced after call was made by Asbayir Abubakar a legal practitioner, that the fees be reduced, has of the time of writing these post the recent amount for law school is 300,000(three hundred thousand naira)
Only students that graduate from recognized law faculties in Nigeria universities are given admission into the Nigerian Law School. The new director of the Nigerian Law School is Dr. O. A. Onadeko.
There is a generally observed dress code in the Nigeria law school and all students are required to adapt by this rule.
In order to succeed in the Nigerian Law School, the student will have to be well prepared to face the attendant challenges. The student needs to be in good health also and this is the reason he/she must attend to his/her health, just as he/she attends to his/her books.
Reading start immediately one resumes at the Nigerian Law School; this is very important if the student must succeed here. Attendance of group or class discussion is also very important, since it helps the student remember what is taught and also perform better during examinations. The student also needs to be focused on studies so as to make the required grade point. The most important aspect of the Nigerian Law School is the examination. The student needs to put all effort to this in his/her own interest.
There are quite a number of law school campuses in Nigeria. You can decide on any of them for your legal training. In this write-up, you will not only learn about the various courses offered in Nigerian Law School; you will also learn about the various law schools in Nigeria. It proves to be informative and interesting.
List of Nigerian law schools
If you studied law outside Nigeria and you want to practice law in Nigeria, you are also required to attend the Nigerian Law School.below are location of 6 law school in nigeria
- Bwari close to Abuja: This campus became the headquarters of the Nigerian law school in 1997.
- Yola in Adamawa State
- Yenagoa in Bayelsa State
- Bagauda in Kano state
- Agbani in Enugu state: It is referred tyo as the Augustine Nnamani campus
- Lagos campus: It was established in 1962. It was however relocated to its present location in 1969.
They are divided into the following aspects:
- Arrests & Searches
- Pre-trial Investigations & Police Interviews
- Institution of Criminal Proceedings
- Presence of the accused
- complaint and witnesses
- Constitutional Safeguards to ensure fair trial
- duties of counsel and the court
- Trials and presentation of evidence and advocacy
- Concluding Addresses
- Judgment and Sentence
The courses involved under this class are grouped into the following:
- Prelim matters before commencing civil action
- Courts with civil jurisdiction
- Interlocutory of Applications
- Third Party Proceedings
- Inter pleader Proceedings
- Mareva Injunction
- Anton Piller Injunction
- Pre-trial Issues
- Preparing for trial
- The course of trial
- Trial Advocacy
- Election Petition
PROPERTY LAW PRACTICE
- Laws to property transactions
- Essentials of power of attorney
- Essentials of a Deed
- Registration of titles
- Assent Outcomes
- Rent in Leases
- Transfer of Lease
- Wills- Taking
- Instructions and drafting of wills
- Letters of Administration
- Winding up of Estates.
CORPORATE LAW PRACTICE
The courses are divided into the following aspects:
- Choice of Business and Non-Business Organization & Formations
- Foreign Participation
- Promotion of Companies
- Pre-Incorporation Contracts
- Matters before commencement of Business Alteration of Memo & Articles of Companies
- Incorporated Trustees
- Registration of Companies
- Corporate Governance & Administration
- Winding Up
LAW IN PRACTICE (ETHICS & SKILLS)
The courses are grouped into the following aspects:
- History of the Legal Profession & Regulation
- Relationship with and Duty of Council to colleagues
- Appointment and Discipline of Judicial Officers
- Discipline & Procedure of Removal
- Contempt of Court
- Rights of Legal Practitioners
- Duty of Counsel
- Controlling Bodies in the Legal Profession
- Instigation Litigation
- Dinner Etiquette
- Attracting Business.